Read Up On It For May 9th, 2014
Sauerkraut, banh mi, sushi, and gluten. Sounds like an ingredient list for making Read Up On It!
- First up, a piece in the Globe and Mail by Chris Johns about how sometimes, pretty isn’t worthy when it comes to food photography. Johns had previously collated a neat little collection of beef related factoids for the G&M that is also worth checking out.
- Zester Daily recently posted an ode to what one author deemed to be the best banh mi in Vietnam. Debatable? Probably. Readable and enjoyable? Absolutely.
- A few months back, the state of California made it so that chefs had to wear gloves when handling certain foods, such as sushi. Although it looks like the law may be repealed, The author Tomoko Kurokawa argues over at The Smithsonian that making and handling sushi must be done with bare hands.
- The CBC put out three very interesting food articles in the past week- how Dungeness crab prices are soaring, how CO2 levels could possibly be threatening the nutritional value of foods, and how three Nova Scotian dairy farms have closed in the past month.
- NPR posits that if you’ve got gas, then maybe you’ve got good guts.Or at least, good microflora in those guts.
- Modern Farmer goes back in time to the age of sail, and examines how sauerkraut saved the day for many sailors.
- And last but not least, Jimmy Kimmel calls bullshit on gluten-wary folks. Check out the video below.